|101-008| Exams X Courses: where to start?

Hello Exam Seekers,

How have you been doing these days? We are so sorry for not being able to bring you all new content. These past few weeks have been very harsh on us. Well, you know… end of the year, for a teacher there is so much to be done. However, we are really happy that you kept on checking our posts regularly.


Also during this week, someone asked me about the types of courses for a teacher. This person questioned me about the kinds of certification one could have to get recognition as a teacher. I don’t really know if we talked about this more precisely, so I figured this could be the post of the week.


First, you need to know the level of your English. To be a good teacher, you do need a good basis of English language and knowledge about it.

Some English teachers know that they know quite a bit of English, but they don’t know how to measure it. I don’t know if you all read the post about the Common European Framework of Reference, either way, just check it out!!!!

For you to either work as a teacher in some places or to take some English Methodological courses along your pathway to teaching, you do need a good level of English. You don’t actually need to have a certificate showing your current level, but you need to show that you know English. So during an interview for a course or for a working position, you will be required to speak with your interlocutor in English to show that you have a good sense of the language. On the other hand, having a certificate will help a lot and avoid some situations like that. For example, if you want to take a masters degree at some universities, you are required to reach at least a B2-C1 level or equivalent and show the certification. However, if you are taking the CELTA, just showing that you have a C1 level by talking to the interviewers is ok.

If you already have a certificate, that’s ok, but if you don’t, try and take the TOEFL or IELTS, which are faster than a CAE or a CPE. So before sharing your CV or checking out a course, make sure that you have the level of English required. Most of these courses/schools ask you to have a B2, C1 level at least, so go after a certification to guarantee your position.

Notice that it is not that easy to get such a certification. For most of the certifications, you do need to study! However, this part is ok, you can either study it by yourself, by finding the materials online or at a bookstore, or you can find a school and study for the specific certification you are looking for, which is very good.


If you already know that you have a good level of English, what can you do next? Study some more! So take your certifications and go after some other types of courses.

One example, of course, is the CELTA (differently from the TKT, which is a test). If you are a teacher and you don’t know how to start, you just need to take a teaching course. It teaches you techniques to teach better and how to teach under Cambridge methodology.

The CELTA is quite quick and it gives you all the support you might need to become a better professional at this field.


Summing up, it is very important that you have a certification showing your current level or English and showing that you know how to teach. Therefore:

  1. Study hard for a CAE or a CPE;
  2. Take the TKT and the CELTA;
  3. Go for other courses: ICELT, DELTA, etc.

This is a basic schedule for you to follow. Try to take these in this order and you will do just fine in the ELT pathway.


We hope you have enjoyed the text. This was a quick one, but we’ll bring some more.

Have a nice week,
Patty and Eve.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s